Tue, Oct 11|
BCPC - Crown Heights
A National Coming Out Day Celebration - Illuminating Our Queer Identities
National Coming Out Day is a day to reflect on and celebrate our coming out stories. On this day, we will be providing a safe space for the Brooklyn LGBTQ+ community, in all its diversity, to fully express themselves.
Time & Location
Oct 11, 2022, 4:00 PM – 9:00 PM
BCPC - Crown Heights, 1561 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11225, USA
About the event
The struggles and the successes of the past and present have a place here. Share your own story with others through word or art or take in stories that are being shared; there will be something for everyone:
- Intergenerational Coming Out Panel: hear from panelists across ages, reflecting on the coming out stories and what is different now vs back then.
- Drag Performances: various drag performances will entertain you in coming out of your shell.
- Zine Making Workshop: make you own “zine” base on your coming out experience
- Make Up Tutorial: learn beauty techniques that transcend gender from the experts at GirlBoyBeauty.
- Book Table: browse through various books by BIPOC LGBTQ+ authors - and they are free to take
- Art Wall: express you coming out story visually or see what other are sharing
- Story Sharing Stations: record your own coming out story in all privacy to keep to yourself or share on social media
- Open Mic: share your own coming out story or hear from others
- Photo Booth: take your out of the closet picture
- MPV Vaccinations: get your 1st or 2nd dose to protect yourself and your community against MPV (monkeypox)
- And more ...
We’ll have food, giveaways, and a raffle with fabulous prizes. HIV testing and services will be available onsite, provided by Diaspora Community Services.
- Islaya is the Matriarch of Haus of Official, Islaya wants to spread a message of perseverance and self-love through her drag. She's known for her soulful lip syncs, high energy performance and comedic style. Prepare for the slay! If you'd like to support Islaya, you can send any donation to her via IG or Venmo: @Islaya_official
- Daddy Hyde is one part of a drag twin duo, the twins King Daddy Hyde and Queen Majesty Jekyll. He is a lover, casual fighter, emoter, and dancer ready to come out… and play. If you'd like to support Daddy Hyde, you can send any donation to him via IG: @thetwins_jekyllnhyde or CashPpp $MJDaddyHydeDivine.
- Drag Queen Story Hour celebrates the glamorous art of drag, creating diverse, accessible, and culturally-inclusive programming creating a space where everyone can express their authentic selves and become bright lights of change in their communities.
Please register so that we have an idea of how many folks we can expect. You can also indicate any food allergies and to let us know if you prefer not to have your picture or video taken. Please note that in order to attend the event, you need to show a record of COVID vaccination.
For questions and more information, please contact Jako Douglas-Borren at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Illuminating Our Queer Identities is a collaboration between Brooklyn Community Pride Center, Brooklyn YAS Coalition, CAMBA, Diaspora Community Services, Reading for Black Lives Project, and Stonewall CDC.